First off I am going to apologize for not keeping up on my blog! I decided to start a “side” post on our home improvement projects, hence why I haven’t been blogging my photography. I also need to apologize for not taking pictures with my camera. I had to resort to my i-phone because I have not yet replaced my wide angle lens since having my camera equipment stolen a few months back. Anyway… our most recent project was turning our pantry into an office. I am kind of obsessed over offices in general. Every house we have lived in I have insisted there be an office. Not just a desk and chair in the living room, but a real office. I don’t know where I got it in my head that a house can’t function without an “official” office but I did. So, when we first moved into our home a few months ago I was on a mission to find the “official” office space. It only took me a few days to decide on turning our pantry into the office. I could see it in my head, but others didn’t believe it would work. Well I can finally prove them all wrong.
- I will do my best to describe what we did and how we did it.
So here is the before. This picture and the picture below show the area we turned into the office. We first took off all the doors and then started gutting the interior wall and taking out all shelves.
- please ignore the silly fish on the wall which my husband is in love with, and makes a point to hang it in obvious places around the house. Don’t worry, it will be going! Oh and the paint on the walls, I was having some serious issues with paint. But that’s a who other issue, and yes the brown is nasty!
Please pardon the mess! It is impossible to keep a house clean when your doing projects such as these.
We even had a little helper, underwear and all! And that crazy hair ball at the bottom is my daughters head.
Next we had to remove the boards in the middle which had all the electrical hooked up to it. Now let me tell you. I did not get a picture of the spaghetti mess of electrical wires, but let’s just say we we were way in over our heads with this one. Luckily, we have one handy brother in law who was able to fix it. It only took about 5 hours to do it, but eventually we were able to tuck all the wires into the ceiling and wall.
After we took care of the electrical we had to frame in the wall where the widow is. Then we started dry walling. We decided to add a window just for fun. This was a $10 dollar salvaged window!
One side of the pantry was laminate wood flooring and the other side was tiled. As you can see the tile is nice and straight on one side and then not so nice and straight on the other. I am kind of a crazy crazy perfectionist and DID not, I repeat DID not want any kind of a transition. Have you seen the transitions that are out there, ughh! It would have ruined the entire look if we had transitioned the tile with some ugly medal strip like my husband suggested (men, they have no idea). The problem was, in order to not have a transition the tiles needed to be cut perfectly straight. So we bought an angle grinder in hopes we could achieve a straight line. Well that didn’t work. So instead I carefully chiseled the grout line first to make sure that when I cracked the other tiles it wouldn’t disrupt the good ones. Luckily the previous owners had a few spare tiles (note to self always buy extra tiles) that we cut with a tile saw and then relayed them. Shazaam perfect straight line.
There are all our wires nicely tucked away. And no that is not a cat in the ceiling it’s a dog! Just kidding it is insulation, creepy I know.Ok so sorry for the lack of pictures once again. But after weeks of dry walling, sanding and texturing we finally had our basic walls done. The next problem for me was figuring out how I wanted the floor. In my mind I knew I didn’t want more tile because I felt that a totally different tile would look odd next to the original. I wanted it to look like it was planned (also the reason I didn’t want a stupid transition). I had envisioned brick on the floor that followed up the back wall. I still think that would have been totally awesome but way more expensive. I had looked into doing “thin” bricks but was advised that thin bricks would not hold up on the floor. I ignored that advice and brought some home anyway, but I didn’t like the color so I took them back. Mean while I was trying to figure out what I wanted, AND THEN…a light bulb went off in my head, ” THE WOOD OUTSIDE ON THE GROUND”. You see a few weeks prior to my floor dilemma we were having an escaping dilemma in our back yard which involved my son. He figured out how to get through the slats of our fence so my brother in law kindly gave us some of his old fencing to put between the spaces. So instead of keeping our kids safe we decided to make our home look good! Anyway… so we put up the wood in no time at all. I didn’t like the color of the wood so I decided to give it a whiter look by taking a really wet rag and dipping it in paint. Then I slopped it all over the wood and then wiped it off again with another really wet rag. Make sure to stay with the grain of the wood otherwise you will see wavy lines. OK! TA DA! So we polyurethaned the floor, used the original doors from the pantry for our shelf and desk. I had a glass top made for the top of the desk ($80) so that we could functionally use it and for looks. The cabinet to the right was actually a cabinet we bought at Fred Meyers about 10 years ago that has traveled with us from home to home. I just repainted it and gave it new knobs. The window we trimmed out like crazy with random wood strips from Home Depot and then caulked, caulked, caulked, and painted, painted, painted. I had this amazing chair for a photography prop and it adds just the right touch.
Below is the before and after again. If you have any questions please let me know. I realize this was a condensed version of a DIY project and am missing some details.